Monday, October 16, 2017

Suren Iyer - An Appreciation by Dr. Ranjith Hettiarachi

SUREN IYER – OUR CHILDHOOD CLASS-MATE

Suren was our class-mate in the mid-fifties, in a few of the
many SALHAHA class-rooms. We ended up as class-mates
In the upper 6B in 1959, seeking University entrance into
Medical studies. We were amongst a bunch of colourful
but riotous classmates, yet studious enough to achieve
Medical school entry in the early sixties, under the supreme
guidance of a remarkable “Father-Figure” and Zoology
Teaching legend -Mr Panikkar.

An interesting but relatively less remembered event was
my interaction with Suren’s elder sister Sita, who was my
Co-star on stage at Ananda in 1957, in the stage play
“HONDA DASAVA” produced by our versatile, celebrity
Mathematics Teacher, Mr C.M Weeraratna. Sita was at
St Bridget’s Convent as a school girl, and was lobbied to
Come on stage with us, probably by Mr Weeraratna.
The entire IYER Family, except Mr IYER, SP-POLICE, joined
us at rehearsals on Friday evenings at the then OLCOTT
Hall.Suren too joined the family from time to time.
Sita and I both gained entry into Medical studies in 1960.
While she was with the first ever Medical student batch
atPeradeniyaIn January 1962, I was at the Kinsey road
Colombo medical faculty.

Having met on many occasions in Colombo, I had the
great fortune to meet Suren’s mother Mrs IYER at my home,
when she visited Melbourne inthe late 1990’s/ early 2000’s
My last interaction withSuren and Swini was at Pundrika’s
home in Colombo,though I had missed out on them
a few times during my visits to London. We did miss out
on him whenwe had the Anandian class-mate re-union in June 2017.

I knew Suren as a medical school mate, only a year junior
to me, but lost track of him when I departed to Australia
in 1969. I did have some interaction with him in London
and in Srilanka, both via our other classmate Pundarika.

Suren was a most affectionate, faithful classmate with
whom most of us were geographically distanced when he
was resident in London. He did interact with most of the
Classmates and Batchmates in London, and joined the
Various events in Colombo. We did miss him in during our
Short visits to UK.

Suren’s sudden, unexpected demise came as a shock
to almost all classmates, who were much grieved by his
departure.

We present our heart-felt condolences to his beloved
wife Swini, Son R, and all his brothers scattered around
the world.

We sincerely hope that Suren seeks a Fortunate existence
 And a Sansaric Journey blessed with the Blessings of the
TRIPLE GEM ! May he be Well and Happy !!
We sincerely hope that we would meet him again,
preferably at Ananda and the Colombo Medical school.

RANJITH HETTIARACHI and all school mates.

Blog Administrator's note: Ranjith was in our senior batch in Medical School and still in active practice in Melbourne, Australia. This is an unedited version.


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for that lovely post Ranjit. I didn't realise you knew him that well. Best wishes to you. I do remember you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ranjit
    It’s great to hear from you. I too remember you well from the faculty days. You had a connection with Weligama when I was there too. The other guy was Walgama who lived there. Desperately sad to lose Suren so suddenly but perhaps he would have preferred to exit this world that way. All we have now are happy memories of times past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Ranjit,
    Thank you for wonderful eulogy to my elder Brother Suen, and Sister Sita, both have moved on in their Sansaric journey now.I live in Sydney, and if you ever come this way, would like to meet with you.
    Sincerely
    Rabi Krishnaratne

    ReplyDelete